Marconi/Fresh Brook, Wellfleet
Description: Explore wooded trails and the remains of the Fresh Brook Village.
Place to Meet: Trailhead: Main Parking Lot at Marconi Beach
Driving/Parking Directions: Drive to Marconi Beach off Route 6 in Wellfleet. Turn into the area at traffic light (watch for bikers crossing road) taking right at fork, continue to end to Main Parking Lot.
Parking Issues- There are entrance fees to Marconi Beach during the summer months but the NPS Eagle Pass will allow all car passengers in without a fee.
Start: (note: underlined words have links to pictures)
- Walk south across the road 50 yards south of the split rail fence and enter woods. Travel on narrow overgrown path to top of dunes.
- Turn right (south) on the path and travel along the top of dunes until you get to a hard right turn and continue. Trail gets wider.
- At first fork go straight across. The trail will widen.
- left at fork and go on slight downgrade
- return the last 50 feet and turn right and continue on path.
- go right (west) on small path and travel along the ridge of Fresh Brook. Fresh Brook will be on your right. Go under a large low tree limb and travel on a downgrade, following the brook.
- Continue on path until you reach the power lines and pole #117. Then turn right (west) and walk up 20 yards to the Cape Cod Rail Trail bike path. Turn right (north) on bike trail.
- Walk about 20 yards to the end of the wooden fence (after crossing Fresh Brook) and turn right and go toward the power lines and pole #118. Turn left and take grassy path east.
- continue on path until you reach a small open area where you may find apple trees. Trail is not distinct in this area. Continue on this path through wooded area until you come to a large intersection where there will be a left, a soft right and a hard right, take the hard right on the dirt road.
- continue straight when 1st left becomes visible. The 2nd left is a shortcut to the parking lot (a few hundred feet), or continue straight for a slightly longer return route. The longer route will take you back to the top of the dunes at the ocean edge where you will turn left. There is a trail to the right that eventually dead-ends
- continue until you get to an open area where you will take a left fork. This path will lead you to the parking lot and trail end.
#04 - Revised 9/21/11