GREAT POND, WELLFLEET
Description: Hike to Ocean Cliffs passing six ponds including Dyer, Long,
Spectacle, Kinnacum and more.
5.1 mikes, 2 ½ hours, easy.
Place to Meet: Meet at Great Pond parking lot, Cahoon Hollow Rd.,
Driving/Parking Directions: Turn off Route 6 at Cahoon Hollow Rd. Great Pond parking a mile or so on left
Note: Please be aware that Wellfleet and other towns may require parking stickers to park at many of the locations, especially during summer months. Please check with authorities before heading out.
Start: (note: underlined words have links to pictures)
- Leave parking lot by way of north west corner to path, then RIGHT on wood road
- Follow main road turning LEFT at first triangle & LEFT again at driveway sign.
- At 4-way fire road, turn RIGHT going up hill. Go passed driveways on left.
- Turn LEFT on Long Pond Rd and then RIGHT onto fire road, staying on main road.
- Bear RIGHT at reverse Y, and bear RIGHT at next Y.
- Continue to where the road ends at Spectacle Pond parking lot, turn RIGHT here.
- View Spectacle Pond via board walk and return going RIGHT at split rail fence
- Cross Ocean View Dr and go LEFT at split rail fence onto small path.
- At end go RIGHT and then LEFT on small path to view ocean.
- Return on wood road (no turns) and cross Ocean View Dr again and enter wood path.
- Continue, making no turns until you reach a 4-way intersection then turn LEFT.
- Go RIGHT at T (you were here before), RIGHT at next fork, and an oblique RIGHT at next small path.
- Go LEFT at next Y (large house visible on right) and LEFT again at wood road
- Continue on road making no turns until you reach Long Pond Rd, then turn RIGHT.
- Take a short dog-leg and turn LEFT onto wood road
- Follow this wood road making no turns until a RIGHT at the “1st triangle” and a LEFT to the parking lot, just prior to Cahoon Hollow Rd.
See all pictures
#14 Revised 2/26/2012