DUCK HARBOR, NORTH - WELLFLEET
Description: Hike Bound Brook Island past Atwood-Higgins house and return along Bay beach
Place to Meet: Meet at Duck Harbor parking lot, Wellfleet
Driving/Parking Directions: Chequesset Neck Road, right at end onto Griffin Island Road, left on Duck Harbor Rd. Follow to parking lot at end.
Beach/Parking: Parking permit may be required during the Summer months. Please check with authorities before heading out.
(note: underlined words have links to pictures)
- Leave Duck Harbor parking lot walking toward the Bay, turning RIGHT at beach. Note the stakes in the sand, you will return here.
- Continue north for about a quarter mile until you reach the beach at the end of Bound Brook Way. (note this is the 2nd beach entrance) Turn RIGHT and walk between the dunes and follow sand path to a small parking lot.
- Turn RIGHT and walk on Bound Brook Way until you get 100 yards from a small parking lot at right bend of the road.
- Turning LEFT to enter wooded area.
- Continue STRAIGHT at first fork
- (see optional walk below) or continue
- Continue until you reach the top of hill and open area. Look left for view and then turn RIGHT on path. This starts a downward walk
- At first fork continue RIGHT. Follow this path bearing RIGHT when necessary. Stay on main path.
- Turn LEFT when you reach a split rail fence at Bound Brook Island Road.
- Turn RIGHT at Atwood-Higgins sign and follow road bearing RIGHT behind buildings. View the Atwood-Higgins area before leaving.
- Continue past the memorial until you reach the road again at intersection.
- At end is a sand parking lot (3 or 4 cars), continue up dune past bench through dune to beach
- Turn LEFT again at stakes in dunes and enter the Duck Island parking lot.
- Shortly after 'STRAIGHT at first fork' you will see a small cement boundry marker on the left side of trail. Walk 10 more yards and take a left to go to the Lombard Cemetary. Return from cemetary, when you hit main trail again turn LEFT and continue as described above.
- A second option: When at Lombard Cemetary continue west and follow main path. You will end up near the parking lot on Bound Brook Way. Walk to beach, go LEFT and walk beach back to Duck Harbor parking lot.
See All Pictures
# 16 Revised 9/23/2011