Bound Brook Island, WELLFLEET
Description: Hike Bound Brook Island past Atwood-Higgins house and return along Bay beach
Place to Meet: Meet at Duck Harbor parking lot, Wellfleet
Driving/Parking Directions: Chequesset Neck Road, right at end onto Griffin Island Road, left on Duck Harbor Rd. Follow to parking lot at end.
Beach/Parking: Parking permit may be required during the Summer months. Please check with authorities before heading out.
(note: underlined words have links to pictures)
- Leave Duck Harbor parking lot walking toward the Bay, turning RIGHT at beach. Note the stakes in the sand, you will return here.
- Continue north for about 300 yards until you reach the beach at the end of Bound Brook Island Road. Turn RIGHT and walk between the dunes and follow sand path past a bench, to a small parking lot.
- Walk on Bound Brook Island Road past a blue-gray house to intersection.
- Turning RIGHT to enter wooded area.
- Continue past the memorial until you reach the next intersection where you will go LEFT
- Follow main path until you reach the Atwood-Higgins area where you go LEFT until you hit Bound Brook Island Road. View the Atwood-Higgins area before leaving.
- Go LEFT on Bound Brook Island Road for several yards until you reach a split rail fence.
- Enter the wooded area and follow main path bearing left at intersections.
- Arriving at the top of the hill and at a clearing, you will have a view of Cape Cod Bay and Lombard Hollow. Continue a few more feet until until you reach a Tee and turn left.
- (see optional walk below) or continue
- Walk on main path making no turns. When you reach Bound Brook Way Road turn LEFT.
- Follow the road around a bend and meet Bound Brook Island Road, and turn RIGHT. (From this point you will retrace your steps back to Duck Harbor parking lot.)
- Walk down the road to the end at the parking lot, go up through the dunes and turn LEFT at Bound Brook Beach.
- Continue south for about 300 yards until you reach the beach at Duck Harbor. Turn LEFT at stakes in dunes and enter the Duck Island parking lot.
- About 30 yards after 'Continue until... a Tee' take a RIGHT to go to the Lombard Cemetary. Return from cemetary (100 yards), when you hit main trail again turn RIGHT and continue as described above.
See All Pictures
# 17 Revised 9/28/2011