WHITECREST BEACH, Wellfleet
Description: Hike on old trails and fire roads to Duck Pond, and return
Place to Meet: Whitecrest Beach parking lot
Driving/Parking Directions: Turn off Route 6 at LeCount Hollow Road. Left onto Ocean View Drive. Parking on right or left at Whitecrest Beach parking lot
Note: Please be aware that Wellfleet and other towns may require parking stickers to park at many of the locations. Please check with authorities before heading out.
Note 2: There are many trails
criss-crossing in this area. Be aware that this area is bounded
on the north by Cahoon Hollow Road, on the east by Ocean View Drive, on
the south by a dirt fire road that runs between the power lines and
Ocean View and on the west by the power lines.
Start: (note: underlined words have links to pictures)
- Go south on Ocean View Drive for ¼ mile, turn RIGHT at cement post past driveway
- RIGHT at first fork
- Pass path on right and take sharp LEFT at ‘T’
- continue straight until you get to 1st fork with yellow markers, go RIGHT and follow them.
- when you get to the next fork with
- at the next intersection with
yellow markers, go left. If you go right and follow
the yellow markers you will end at Cahoon Hollow Rd near Great Pond parking lot.
- Just before next turn you will a large log across the trail. It was cut into smaller
sections which remain next to trail. Just after that
landmark, turn LEFT at top of hill and head south.
- take the next (quick)
- take next right again.
- at the next fork go left. Soon you will be able to
see Duck Pond.
- Take the next RIGHT, the next LEFT, the next RIGHT.
- Continue until you get to a
rail fence. Go RIGHT to pond or LEFT to parking lot.
- Leave pond area; go to sand road west, under
power lines, and turn
LEFT on sandy road going south
- LEFT again onto sand rd going
STRAIGHT under power lines (pole #99 on left) onto fire rd heading east
- Stay on fire road for ~1/2 mile passing a
split rail fence
on left, then take
LEFT at path into woods at 2
white cement posts.
- Go STRAIGHT at 1st fork (you were
- Walk to Ocean View Drive and turn
LEFT to return to parking lot
See all pictures
#21 Revised 02/15/2015