WEST RESERVOIR, HERRING RUN, HARWICH
Description: West Reservoir Hike passes through wooded trails, across a Herring run, around the West Reservoir and Cranberry bogs. 4.9 miles
Place to Meet: Sand Pond parking lot, Harwich
Driving/Parking Directions: Exit 10 off Rt. 6 going south on Rt. 124. Turn right at intersection with route 39, take Great Western Rd to Sands Pond parking on right.
Beach/Parking: Parking permit may be required during the Summer months. Please check with authorities before heading out.
Start: (note: underlined words have links to pictures)
- From eastern end of parking lot, walk across Great Western Rd to wide mulch path leading to bike trail
- Turn RIGHT on bike trail, go to Bells Neck Road, and turn LEFT onto Bells Neck Rd
- After 75 feet, turn RIGHT on sand path under power line and walk to the 5th single telephone pole then turn LEFT into woods.
(The sand path parallels the bike trail.)
- Walk on main trail following the West Reservoir, which will be on your right
- Go STRAIGHT at fork and then LEFT up hill at next fork
- At large intersection, bear RIGHT following water to the end of peninsula. Continue to
loop LEFT which will bring you back to same trail and intersection, go RIGHT
- RIGHT at fork after borrow pit, LEFT at fork and RIGHT towards water and RIGHT again along the water
until you reach Bells Neck Rd.
- Turn RIGHT onto Bells Neck Rd and RIGHT again on path off Bells Neck just past the water.
- RIGHT onto dirt road, continuing RIGHT past the bog on the left,
follow the water on your right.
- Go STRAIGHT and then RIGHT up a hill turning RIGHT at fork in the road
- Go STRAIGHT on path past
a no motor vehicle signs out to the dike and herring run
- Cross over herring run veering RIGHT on dirt road and RIGHT again at bog staying RIGHT of bog
- Continue walking around bog passing near houses
- When you reach the road go RIGHT and then go around a second bog passing an osprey nest.
- Just before a borrow pit turn RIGHT on trail up hill
- Take a RIGHT onto dirt road walking to parking lot and the herring run. (same one as before)
- Cross over the dike and herring run into path and an immediate RIGHT turn into woods
- RIGHT at first fork in trail, STRAIGHT at fork & then first RIGHT over a fallen tree. (you just completed a loop, the post with 2 signs will be to your left, but continue right)
- Continue to walk half way around the old, unmaintained bog until you reach a road. Turn RIGHT here.
- Bear RIGHT at fork and walk to Bells Neck Rd.
- Turn RIGHT then immediate LEFT on North Road to 2nd bridge. Visit bridge over East Reservoir tributary to Herring River.
- Return from bridge to first RIGHT and STRAIGHT onto wooded path
- LEFT on small
path (right goes into marsh) and up hill to LEFT fork
- Go STRAIGHT and turn RIGHT onto North Road and RIGHT again onto Bells Neck Rd
- Turn RIGHT just past water and large sign, STRAIGHT onto wooded path
- LEFT at fork, up hill and LEFT to power line,
- LEFT onto bike path to RIGHT turn onto mulch path to parking lot. Note the granite 2 mile marker.
- additional map of area
See all pictures
#38 Revised 2/6/2012