NEWCOMB HOLLOW, WELLFLEET
Description: Walk along dunes and through wooded area, and around several ponds. 4.6 miles
Place to Meet: Newcomb Hollow Beach, Parking lot, Wellfleet.
Driving/Parking Directions: Turn right off route 6 on Gull Pond Road. Bear left at Gross Hill Rd, go to end
Note: Please be aware that Wellfleet and other towns may require parking stickers to park at many of the locations. Please check with authorities before heading out.
Start: (note: underlined words have links to pictures)
- Climb bank and enter dunes at extreme LEFT end of parking lot near snow fencing
- Continue STRAIGHT (north) paralleling the ocean beach. Note: this is area has thick brush, wear leg protection.
- At first intersection turn LEFT then RIGHT after 30 feet. Continue north.
- Turn LEFT at next intersection just before cliff houses, enter wooded pathway
- Pass through gate and pick-up sand road heading west
- At intersection bear LEFT with Horseleech Pond on the right
- At next intersection turn RIGHT
- Turn LEFT at bottom of hill
- At top of next hill, with Round Pond on left, turn RIGHT on trail into woods. This is a big curved trail gradually turning left and ending on Old Kings Highway (OKH)
- At ‘Y’ bear LEFT. Stay on main path
- LEFT on OKW, going down hill, soon you will see a marker on right for the first school in Wellfleet
- Bear LEFT at ‘Y’ then LEFT again at Black Pond Rd., walking east passing Herring Pond on right.
- At split rail fence go STRAIGHT. Slough Pond is on left. Make no turns
- Soon you will pass Williams Pond on your right.
- Continue STRAIGHT at next intersection (you were here before), Horseleech Pond on left.
- RIGHT at “Private Homes” sign. RIGHT again just past first curved split rail fence onto uphill path. Near top of hill bear RIGHT to continue up.
- LEFT at ‘Y’ Pass 2 houses on right
- LEFT at ‘Y’ and LEFT at ‘T’, trail goes down
See all pictures
#49 Revised 02/25/2012